10.13.2007

The Elusive Fee Simple


Do you know who Andy Rooney is? If not, the only thing you really need to know is that he is cranky and opinionated—about everything, that is. Then again, he gets paid to express one cranky opinion per week, a job he has held since the middle ages. I guess if I were in Andy’s shoes, I, too, would have quickly run out of rants to rave about the big ticket items like taxes and world peace and would have had to move on to yelling about things like the state slogans on license plates.

That said, I am about to get all Andy Rooney on you about none other than the atrocity that is the Southern California real estate market. I know, I know—this topic is seriously lacking originality and chances are that half of you have already clicked over to that Rooney license plate article for more enlightening fare. It’s just that I’ve had some personal experience with this lately….

A few days ago, my sister, the notorious Mrs. Dub, posted on her blog about her desire for a house. This is a desire Mrs. Dub and I have had in common for some time—in fact, in the weeks prior to the HGTV Dream Home giveaway every April, nearly all of our telephone or email conversations with each other have to do with what we do and don’t like about that year’s Dream Home and which of the two of us is more likely to win it. (And then every year they give it to some Midwestern retiree who has already owned four homes in his life and swears he just entered the sweepstakes one day on a whim, but I digress).

Anyhow, Mrs. Dub’s post was timely as lately my house-lust has been out of control. You see, last Saturday afternoon I was at work when I realized that if I left right then, I would have time to drive up and tour the Martha Stewart designed KB Home models in Lancaster, California, which is locally known as St. Nowheresville. I must admit to being a bit of a Martha groupie (getting her to join my scooter gang would be a major coup, no?) and this is something I’ve been wanting to do for a LONG time. You know, just to see them.

Getting to St. Nowheresville from Los Angeles took a LOT longer than I thought. Google Maps estimated it as 60 miles one-way, but it was closer to 75. I was also surprised at how different things looked from the parts of California I’m familiar with. The terrain was eerily similar to those pictures taken by the Mars rovers, only with a few Joshua Trees and Super Walmarts photoshopped in. Yet the houses there are CHEAP as free for Southern California—as in the high $300Ks / low $400Ks, so I guess a lot of people are willing to live on Mars and commute to LA every day because it is the only option for non-Compton homeownership.

As I got closer to the Martha homes, I seriously began to question Lancaster’s non-ghetto reputation, as the Semiannual Antelope Valley Street Gang Convention appeared to be converging in a vacant lot only blocks from the Martha Models. Luckily, I’ve lived in LA long enough to know how to give a pretty convincing “I didn’t see anything, I swear,” look. Once, the Roommate and I were walking in West LA and had to whip out this look twice within thirty seconds—the first time when we inadvertently saw a drug deal go down, and the second time when the dealer crossed the street towards us and accidentally dropped a packet of crack on the ground, then fumbled around all bug-eyed as he tried to quickly pick it up. It was one of those treasured LA moments that is simultaneously comical and life-threatening, but again, I digress…


At this point I was expecting to be underwhelmed by the Martha models, which, quite frankly, would have been a good thing (Martha groupie bad pun intended). To my utter dismay, the houses were the perfect size and simply amazing. The drive alone was worth it to see all the cool little knick-knacks and decoration. It was like a Martha museum, and the price of admission is simply 20 minutes of your time listening to the sales person’s pitch.


In my particular instance, the sales person had me at “Martha.” She also told me that most of the people who come to see the models work in Los Angeles and plan to make the daily 150-mile commute. When I told her I worked downtown, she said, “Well that’s easy. You can take the Metrolink [train] to Union Station in downtown. Most people have to have a second car on the LA end to drive from the train station to work.”

I left the models with a folder of materials and a song in my heart. I stopped at a Super Walmart on my way home—a rare opportunity for any Angeleno, but the whole time I was shopping all I could think about was what kind of kitchen countertops I would get and how much work I would get done on the train every day. But then my bubble burst when I got home and did some old-fashioned internet research. The Metrolink ride from St. Nowheresville to downtown is 2 hours one-way!! Getting to the St. Nowheresville station would take about 15 minutes, as would the bus ride from Union Station to my office. So I was looking at over a five-hour daily commute. The last train leaves downtown at 7 p.m., but I’m not always off work by then. What’s more, I ran the numbers and I couldn’t afford even the smallest house anyway—at least not without living at the very edge of my means and going sans furniture for several years.

Suddenly, I was struck by the absurdity of the whole idea and, I’m warning you, this is the point at which I got very cranky. Just to provide some context to any non-Angelenos out there, I want to point out that right now I live in West LA about 3 blocks from the always-noisy 405 freeway. Across the street from my apartment, there is a building of newly-renovated condos for sale. This is common in West LA right now—they take old apartment buildings, slap a coat of paint on them, and convert them to condos. This particular building looks like a newly painted 1970s Motel 6 (i.e., not attractive). The condos have one bedroom, one parking space in a communal garage, and no in-unit laundry. They are under 1000 square feet and are priced in the $900Ks. The HOA fee is several hundred a month. Over by my old apartment there is a high-rise of luxury condos going up. Regardless of how luxurious they are, they are still condos. They have a sign advertising “From the $4,000,000s.” That’s right—apparently a luxury 1900 square foot condo for four million is considered a deal.

And I know these are not Manhattan prices, Honolulu prices, or San Francisco prices, but you have to admit—they’re still pretty bad. Indeed, my cranky mood was exacerbated by reading some of the comments on Mrs. Dub’s post, where areas such as Northern Virginia (median housing price = $450K) were touted as “expensive.” They seem like such a deal to me by comparison to SoCal. Homeownership is simply not an option in the greater LA area anymore for the first-time buyer who is not a member of the upper-class. It is why large cities with soaring real estate prices are losing their middle classes to the Phoenixes, Vegases, Portlands, Atlantas, and Houstons of the country (where, in turn, their influx and collective warped financial perspective are driving up real estate prices in those areas).

As for me, I have already started my campaign to get Mrs. Dub and the rest of the Ess clan to migrate to St. Nowheresville, Georgia, where the same Martha homes are going for over $100K less on larger lots with a much shorter commute to downtown Atlanta. So far, I have received a lot of complaints about the weather. I think those are strong words coming from people who brave blinding sunlight and 118-degree weather every summer. I can point to a couple of instances in Ess family history where I successfully wore everyone down, so I think I could still make it work.

With that, I’d like to invite all of you to join us. (Except, of course, for my surprising number of Singaporean readers, because Atlanta’s crime rate may be a bit of a shock to their systems. I think the Singaporeans only read this blog for the scooter stuff anyway, and they probably didn’t get this far on such a non-scooter post. I will make it up to you soon, Singapore.) We can form a commune full of Martha homes and scooter riders. It will be a veritable Utopia—at least in my book.

15 comments:

mommie said...

So ... when you mention the "wearing down the fam" scenerios ... are we basically talking about Blue -- the dog with schizophrenia? The dog who tried on numerous occasions to take out chunks of flesh out of my arm and once jumped up and put his bite on one of my button and was swinging from me like a pendulum?

Yeah ... that's probably not the best scenerio to rely on.

In other news: I am working at perfecting my southern accent by repeating the words "Antonio Banderas".

Unknown said...

the truth about atlanta - it is hot. as an official georgian, i can also say, truthfully, that growing up there, the heat was the reality and i never thought, gee, if only there were some magical land with as much green space and good real estate as georgia, but with better weather. then again, i did not go to california until i was 22, and had i known about said magical california at the age of 10, i might have been all, let's tighten our bible belts and go west, young mom! after 16 spring/summers in georgia, replete with a full range of outdoor activities including crew, cheerleading camp, walking to telemarketing jobs, 8 am college classes, 12 pm (height of the heat) fourth of july bbq's, etc, i do not remember ever saying, let's skip it, it's too hot. we might as well have said, let's skip it, it's too georgia. you stock up on light clothing, short as you dare shorts (of course, i wasn't mormon then, and you know what, honestly, thank the lawd. i admit feeling more than vaguely annoyed at times by the knee length shorts i bought after my baptism, and by vaguely annoyed i mean tossing them for a more heat friendly 3 inches above the knee version.), throw on a white ballcap and get to steppin'. and fyi, with georgia real estate prices, you'll be able to afford your martha home in ATL (moniker for in the know folks) AND your pad in charleston/edisto/savannah/isle of palms. also, bonus, possibility of going to random concert at dive bar to see "the blanks" and finding out you are actually going to see REM performing under a nom deplume!i've got your two tickets for your midnight train to georgia right here, friend. other bonuses include ability to refer to your children as sugar and sweet pea and possibly being branded with your very own "where did you get that nickname" nickname, such as "dub," "tator," or "batesy." so, okay, awesome, welcome to georgia, i'll get mark working on a custom screenprint for your scooter gang hoodies right away.

sara said...

Okay but you already have the two vehicles required to make Lancaster work. Come on.

And I thought Andy Rooney was dead.

Mrs. Dub said...

my resistance to atlanta has nothing to do with me waiting (in vain) for housing prices to drop in our respective areas, the weather down South or my aversion to michael bolton's "midnight train to georgia."

it's 'cause i'm totally going to win the hgtv dream home this year. but the good news is it's in florida, so i'll be somewhat close to the rest of you in atlanta.

Evan said...

Oh how I love the use of "fee simple" anywhere. Music to my wannabe-lawyer ears. :)

And oh how I agree and hate the fact that my mother's hovel in San Diego would easily fetch $500K. Even more irksome (total understatement) is the fact that the people rich enough to buy in LA go build houses in Phoenix, lure away all the folks that wish they could buy here, which drives up the prices in Phoenix (by inserting thousands of deluded SoCal home-wanters into a 120 degree real estate "market"), driving away all those potential buyers, driving up the prices even higher here, and leaving only the people building/selling the houses in AZ with enough money to buy in LA! What a sick cycle...

See!!! It brings out the Andy Rooney in all of us who appreciate mild weather & the ocean coupled with all those stories folks used to tell us about buying their home in SoCal for $140K.

Angy said...

I feel like AZ is almost the same... and i use almost extremely lightly! Anything that's in my price range is at least an hour drive from work and that's not including traffic. ugh. but i do love it out here :)

i will say, though, that savannah, ga is absolutely amazing! and beautiful! did i mention amazing?! if i ever wanted to move out east... it would definitely be on my list!!

P Daddy said...

You are smarter and funnier than Andy Rooney and have much better skintone. However, ATL does not seem like a Vespa friendly place what with rain, humidity, and bugs. Not to mention allergies. All that greenery turns to pollen at some point. I know DC has colder winters, but also slightly cooler summers and I wouldn't have wanted to ride a Vespa there on a regular basis. While ATL isn't supposed to get much snow, I still was snowed in at Hartsfield for two days once. And I'm afraid that everyone there will look like a CNN or HNN anchor clone. I might eventually be able to root for the Braves, at least they're in the NL, but never the Falcons or the Hawks, even with Michael Vick in jail. But if you get all the rest of the family to buy Martha Stewart homes there, I suppose we'd be forced to consider it.

Unknown said...

for the first time ever, i may have to disagree with p daddy; snow? at (atlanta, the city near) tara? definitely an exception and absolutely NOT the rule. as for the 2 day lockin (minus awesome bowling and 2 hour banarama is the devil and so is mtv christian docudrama propaganda) at hartsfield, i must say that has to be chalked up to there being little infrastructure to deal with snow of any kind, and yes, my georgia educational career included a couple of days where school's were closed because they didn't want the buses driving on the .0003 inches of snow on the roads. however, scouts honor, i can name at least 18 people who are georgia residents and vespa drivers, who live in and around atlanta, and vespa regularly, with wild abandon. as for the bugs . . .um, ask me no questions, and i will wordlessly pass you the calamine. georgia, the whole day through!

Ryan said...

Wow.
1. I listen to podcast's of 60 minutes and am becoming reaquanted with Mr. Rooney. Last week he was complaining about how straberry cream lacks strawberreis and cream. I dont mind him, but I do dislike the e-mails that people forward where he complains about Mexicans.

2. I personally like Atlanta, its hot in the summer but it has personality and a great aquarium. I would pick Atlanta before Phoenix.

3. Martha Stewart homes are 220-360k in Raleigh/Durham, and they have some townhomes too. As we look for homes right now it's crazy to think we can afford some of them. NC reminds me of California-We have Trader Joes, Temperate weather, and a lot of California transplants. Come out and take a look. My drive to work takes 22 minutes and is 14 miles away.

Unknown said...

so i looked at the website and agree with ryan, about the cool quotient of north carolina. the martha homes are listed as being in the city of cary, which is a most fab place, in my humble opinion, and given north carolina's position as a summer status destination, due to the, as ryan noted, more temperate climate (and therefore, more bearable summers, which can include the need for a light jacket if you are taking a stroll in asheville in the early morning of a late summer day), i think a well constructed, fabulously appointed martha home combined with the quality of living and affordable lifestyle offered by nc (not to mention it's schanzetastic higher ed system for your future genius children) is . . . a good thing. oh no she didn't!

Kelley Bochman Smith said...

Hi cute girl! Heard about the Vespa, thought it was some kind of sports car, but just smiled and nodded my head when your mom was telling me about it....It's so cool! and I LOVE those shoes you are wearing in your profile photo! I guess I can visit Atlanta as well as anywhere else but don't you like Phoenix? We sure all love you back here. But I can understand why you love the green, the weather, the "It's all happening here" feel that LA has. Anyway, I have always wanted to tell you that I think that you are one of the most talented wonderful gals I have ever me, and now I can peep in on your existence outside our little realm. By the way, Dennis and I have always been big Andy Rooney fans and now we have a replacement!

Amy Williams said...

You are pretty much hilarious.

I am waiting to find some Mod boy with sweepy bangs and a sweater vest to roll through with a vespa but I don't think that little subculture found its way to Bulgaria or Eastern Europe for that matter.

But you probably look cuter than this boy would anyway. Especially trying to ride it in a skirt (which I have tried with a bike and utterly failed)

P Daddy said...

Ryan--everyone would pick Atlanta over Phoenix, and the Sun over Phoenix for that matter, in the summer. But that is not to say Atlanta or the Sun are particularly comfortable in the summer, except, perhaps by comparison to say Houston or New Orleans or Death Valley. But any Phoenician with a car and a couple of bucks finds a way to spend the summer in San Diego or the mountains or Rocky Point (Arizona's adopted bilingual beachtown). The other 8 mos. of the year, Phoenix is pretty great, with the result that half of the upper Midwest relocates to Mesa, Surprise, and Apache Junction for the winter. Phoenix doesn't have much personality, but lots of golf courses, great Mexican food, and Spring Training baseball. Other than the occasional hurricane, and trading rattlesnakes and scorpions for flying and crawling insects, North Carolina sounds nice. I think the Tri-City area today is sort of Atlanta 20 years ago. And I the Vespa looks great at the beach. So if the whole family is going to migrate I say North Carolina over Atlanta.

Unknown said...

p daddy - totally dispute phoenix not having much personality - it has the Ess family! if only every city could claim thusly!

Ryan said...

I would love to have the Sanderson Clan move over here to the triangle. you guys are all so nice, and hopefully somewhat like Ginny. Sorry about the disrespect to Phoenix, and thanks for your toleration.