5.13.2008

One more reason to buy a sidecar for the Vespa

Well… apparently even those who actually liked my LA driving etiquette post are sick of reading it (i.e., my Mom) and begging for something new. Boy are they (she) going to be sorely disappointed.

It has come to my attention that I complain too much on this blog, and so today I am going to shake things up a bit by posting about something I actually L-O-V-E love.


Baby Pandas.

Sure, the technical name is “panda cubs,” but, as with most things, I have adopted my own terminology and “baby pandas” it is. We’ve got a weird thing going, the baby pandas and me—people who know me pretty well are probably surprised to learn I have such an affinity for them, whereas people who know me really, really well, like on a familial level, are like “Ew, she never shuts up about them! It’s just weird! Kind of like those 12-year-old girls who have 500 horse figurines lining the walls of their bedrooms!” Whatever, neigh-sayers (heh). In an attempt to curb my curmudgeonly blogger reputation, I am officially dragging my adoration of all things baby panda out of the closet.

So this recent earthquake in China is absolutely devastating and, like most people, I am overwhelmed by the human loss and suffering that it has caused. And so I don’t want to sound glib when I admit I was still a little happy to hear that Chinese officials confirmed that the pandas at the world’s two largest panda reserves (Wolong and Chengdu) survived the quake. This isn’t as trivial as you might think. As any baby panda lover knows, China owns all the world’s pandas, loaning very few out to zoos in other countries. Propagation of this highly-endangered species completely depends on these reserves, which include breeding centers and a daycare facility where several dozen baby pandas are raised each year.

About a year ago, I read this very reputable news article about how tourists to Wolong can pay $130 to play with the baby pandas for a few minutes. Since then, I have always planned on doing just that once I experience some sort of financial windfall giving me sufficient spending money and free time to act like a rich idiot. It’s nice to know I might still have the opportunity.

And now, in the off-chance that any biological engineers are regular readers of this blog, I will make yet another public plea for the miniaturization of the Giant Panda. We’ve all seen miniature ponies, miniature Collies, and those ridiculous “teacup” dogs that shady people are always selling as if they were counterfeit DVDs—so we know the technology exists and don’t even bother pretending that it doesn’t. Why then can’t you miniaturize the Giant Panda so that it never grows bigger than, say, an English Bulldog? Since pandas are vegetarians and have successfully interacted with humans in captivity, they are ripe for domestication. The only problem is that adult pandas are, well, giant, and the amount of bamboo they consume presents both financial and practical concerns for the average pet owner. If we had miniature pandas, not only could we afford to feed and house them, but we could put rhinestone-studded leashes on them and take them shopping at all the LA hotspots that now apparently permit pets on the premises.

But please don’t let Paris Hilton have one.

And, no, I’m not expecting any comments to this post, so don’t feel bad when I don’t get any.

13 comments:

steph said...

i, too, love baby pandas... and i would mosdef buy a mini-panda if the opportunity presented itself. baby panda lovers unite!

Ryan said...

Love the post. It won me over just seeing the picture.

How do you feel about rabbits? I feel like they are the pandas of the Rodent class.

P Daddy said...

I was going to e-mail you as soon as I heard the earthquake was centered near the Panda reserves, even before the good news that the Pandas were fine. You are the first thing I think of every time I see a Panda (other than what kind of poop does bambo make or how FinnAir co-opted the Panda from China Air Sichuan). I'm all for the minaturization, but then the similarity in facial size may make the underlying cause of your affinity for them more obvious.

Mrs. Dub said...

being of the familial set, i wasn't surprised by this post, your love for pandas or your plea for their miniaturization. i was, however, surprised today when miss dub begged me to get her not one, but two books on pandas at the library today. (in addition to the panda book you already gave her.) "pan-dras!" she proclaimed.

could it be genetic?

Mary said...

I'm your mother, I love it when you post about anything, but I am always happy to hear new about the grand-pandas and how they are learning to say "Nanny" and "Papa".

So ... while "they" are miniaturizing things ... how about me? I would like a more miniature version of myself.

Kelley Bochman Smith said...

As I have said before, (in a wild craze of jar fairy making last month) I would LOVE to be minature as in TINY and I like to imagine myself ridding on a lady bug's back and then float down a little brook sitting on a leaf sipping flower nector.Sounds heavenly, don't you think?

Renee said...

G, I LOVE PANDAS!! When I lived in DC, I had an obsession with Hsing Hsing and Ling Ling who were at the National Zoo. I once waited hours to see sick little Hsing Hsing come out of his tiny darkened cell into the larger cement cell and eat his Starbucks muffin (the only food in which he would eat his pills). I was devastated when I read the article in the Daily Universe when Hsing Hsing died. When I returned to DC I was really happy to see the habitat had improved and was filled with delightful little pandas. I had never even considered miniturizing them...but considering my love of bonsai, I think it's a fantastic idea!!

Tat said...

Have you seen the Curious George cartoon where George gets obsessed with watching the nearby zoo's "PandaCam" online, and then goes in person (or in monkey) to visit the baby panda? I am not kidding about this. There is actually a part in the episode where the narrator's VO is "All he could think about was Baby Panda. Baby Panda. Baby Panda."

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sara said...

My goodness, in all of our late-night tell-all's I have never heard mention of a panda, baby or otherwise. And I thought I knew you!

Having seen them last year at the San Diego Zoo I must confess they are adorable and I think your idea to miniturize is a sure bet. My but your blog is full of wonderful diversity!

P Daddy said...

I'll be disappointed if you didn't personally visit Tai Shan, Mei Xiang, and Tian Tian this weekend and if we don't get a travelogue report. But if your itinerary did not include the National Zoo, putting the sincerity of your love of Pandas in some question, a post on other happenings in the Nation's Capitol will suffice.

Also, I note that the only zoos in the U.S. with standard (versus Red) Pandas are in San Diego, Washington, D.C., Atlanta, and Memphis. Maybe it's because there are no Martha Stewart homes in Memphis, but it still seems somewhat surprising a career as a FedEx pilot has never been considered given the strong relocation interest in the other three Panda-centric metro areas.

Anonymous said...

I want to thank the blogger very much not only for this post but also for his all previous efforts. I found www.ladolcevespa.net to be very interesting. I will be coming back to www.ladolcevespa.net for more information.

Anonymous said...

[b][url=http://pohudey.in]ХУДЕЙ БЕЗ ПРОБЛЕМ!![/url][/b]
[url=http://pohudey.in][img]http://harizzzma.com/dieta1.jpg[/img][/url]







похудение без диет 25 кадр
ласкин диета
срочно эффективно похудеть
гомеопатические препараты для похудения
диета для наращивания мышечной массы
рисунки на тему здоровое питание
похудеть на 20 килограмм
эзофагит диета
картофель диета
скачать книгу похудеть навсегда
я похудела на диете медиков
коралловый клуб похудение
как сделать чтоб похудели руки
препараты для похудения в запорожье
внушение для похудения
мюсли диета
похудела на моно диете
похудеть за 14 дней
хронический гепатит диета
борменталь похудение скачать бесплатно
надо похудеть
правильное питание на каждый день
французская диета отзывы
диета на 1 день
фашистская диета
похудеть на 7 кг
оливковое масло для похудения
диеты звезд голливуда
xl s таблетки для похудения
экстремальная диета
похудение за 1 день
энтерит диета
форум кто хочет похудеть
крем для похудения форум
похудеть за один день
дыхательная гимнастика для похудения цзяньфэй
похудеть глина
как похудеть и сохранить стройность
юнона средство для похудения
силовые упражнения для похудения
как похудеть за два месяца
составление диеты
как похудеть за два дня
эффективный комплекс упражнений для похудения
голодание для похудения отзывы
диета при
как быстро и качественно похудеть
garnier плоский живот отзывы
диеты похудение как быстро похудеть
овощной суп диета
вода для похудения
постепенное похудение
отвары трав для похудения
реактивный панкреатит у детей диета
легкие способы похудения
эффективный способ убрать живот
травки для похудения
как похудеть на 15 кг за месяц
похудеть с помощью разгрузочных дней
можно ли похудеть за неделю
медовая диета
капсулы для похудения отзывы
пилатес для похудения скачать бесплатно
термопояс для похудения отзывы
кефирная диета для похудения отзывы
сайков похудение
гарциния для похудения
здоровяк каша похудеть
диета при холецистите
растительные препараты для похудения
лида похудение
диета система
чайная диета
диета перед генетической тройкой
рецепты диетических запеканок
диета 2 рецепты
я похудела на жидкой диете
герпес диета

[url=http://lengbadlipank.freehostia.com]как похудеть[/url]