6.14.2007

Equivocalescence and the Permateens

In Vespa news…I have driven for very short distances on crazy busy Santa Monica boulevard. Beach trip on Saturday morning is the new goal.

In Vespa-related news… Why are we Americans so eager yet so reluctant to grow up? This topic was inspired by someone I will temporarily refer to as “chaisepilot” as her new and improved alias is pending.

Recently, the ever HI-larious chaisepilot was regaling me with a story about a busload of Georgian middle schoolers headed to cheer camp wherein young, cheerleadin’ chaisepilot was overcome by an extreme attack of FOLLACI when she publicly referenced the movie Never Ending Story and none of her fellow cheerleaders, including her many BFFs and plain-ol’ FFs, would admit to knowing of said movie despite the fact that, according to chaisepilot, “this was 1992, and it was running every other day on the Disney Channel.” (By the way, statistics prove FOLLACI hits hardest between the ages of 12 and 14. Talk to your kids about how to prevent FOLLACI.)

Chaisepilot’s experience kind of reminded me of a time when, as a fourteen-year-old high-school freshman, I lied through my teeth at a “pledge” party for a “sorority” (it was a school-sponsored club—don’t ask) and said I had never liked the “band” New Kids on the Block, when, in fact, I had been to an NKOTB concert in a neighboring state only a few weeks prior and had screamed my lungs out in adoration of Joey Joe. You see, somewhere in the two months between Grandma’s gift of the concert tix and my pledging of faux-sororities, I had grown too old for NKOTB. At least in theory. And my pledge party fib wouldn’t have been so bad if one of my own BFFs hadn’t just been called on the carpet for being a known NKOTB fan. I just left her hanging. (hangin’ tough, that is.)

The point: these days we’re always complaining about how kids grow up way too fast. Girls buy Tigerbeat at age 7, Seventeen at 9, Vogue at 11, and Cosmo at 13. And at the same time, there is a nationwide refusal to grow up, no? Not only do middle schoolers watch the Disney Channel, but college kids are still watching Saved by the Bell—what was originally run as a Saturday-morning cartoon companion. And I know more than one grown woman who indulges in The OC or Laguna Beach. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Which brings me back to the Vespa… wasn’t buying it the ultimate “can’t wait to grow up / never going to grow up” act? As in, I’m old and mature enough to buy a “weekend car” and secure additional insurance, but young and foolish enough to want something red/shiny/cute/dangerous.

Please tell me I’m not alone. Thirtysomething and still shopping at Forever 21? Have three degrees but addicted to your Wii? Can afford your own house but have twelve roommates? Let’s hear all about it. My blog is your blog.

10 comments:

Mrs. Dub said...

i just want to know where "the hills" falls into all of this.

Jamie said...

So hilarious, Ginny! I burst into laughter several times during this post. I also really wanted to get on the floor and do the New Kids' dance!

Linz said...

um...yes. haha, i'm there. video games rock. i watch cartoons. F21 has good summer clothes. i used to love jonathan from NKOTB because he was color blind (strange - don't ask). and i rode a vespa once in australia. i almost mowed down a family, a couple, and an unlucky dog.

sara said...

I love that you've started this blog. I love that you refer to NKOTB as a "band." That poor NKOTB-lovin' friend of yours... that wasn't the worst of what she got; remember the witchcraft craze of '88? Poor thing.

As for me, I think my refusal to grow up is evident by my cd collection. Me & the Mr. had always said we'd throw out any objectionable material before we had kids. Then it became, 'before the kids can read.' Now, any cds with a parental warning are kind of hidden on a high shelf... I just can't help ragin' against the machine every now and then. Or watching SBTB if nothing else is on...

Unknown said...

chaise pilot! i bow down to you, master of the interim alias.

Evan said...

I don't know if (as a man) I am allowed to post a comment, but this is consistently the greatest read in the whole world (wide web).

And because I have no shame I can freely admit that I knew the words to Step By Step.

Unknown said...

I really enjoy the fact that I can go into a store and buy any type of candy that I want. I also will never stop eating fruit snacks. I love kids Cola drinks- where they add vanilla or Cherry. Besides that I am completely age appropriate.
I think it would be fun to see people be permaseniors- wear sweatshirts with animals on them, watch Lawrence Welk and Murder She Wrote,etc. Also dying hair gray will be in one day.

Renee said...

I'm 29 years old, and this weekend I played kickball...with a bunch of adults...who play kickball quite regularly. And, they aren't even Mormon. Whuuuuut? I think Mormons, especially the single type, are notorious for behaving like children (in many many ways). Family Home Evening frequently consists of games we last played when we were in 5th grade. Don't get me wrong...I love those games...but it's evidence of our aspirations for permateenhood. Also, today in church there was a guy playing tetris on his phone. Again...whuuuut? As annoyed as I was, I couldn't stop watching those little tiles fall into their proper places. But seriously?? Just because it's a "phone" doesn't make it any different than the 10 year olds with their gameboys back in the day...

deek said...

You are the best writer that I know about. And the best one I know too.

Shaun R. said...

Due to my career choice I find myself participating in permasenior activities all the time. Today I could not get the song "Daisy, Daisy give me your answer true" out of my head. I'm also known to watch Lawrence Welk and Big Joe's Polka Band with my great aunt on occasion. On the other hand I've found that working with people with dementia has you doing kid activities as well. I color, I put together 50 piece puzzles, and as much as Auntie Annie likes Lawrence Welk she also likes any show with a laugh track. Of course I can hide behind the excuse that I'm just there keeping them company, but is that really the case if I say, "Shh..Auntie Annie I can't hear." or if I'm still coloring long after the resident has lost interest?