6.28.2007

Viva la Narcissist!

I didn't think I was a vanity plate kind of girl, but then again, I didn't think I was a dragon red scooter kind of a girl or a blogging kind of a girl and yet, here we are. After finally receiving my Vespa registration in the mail and being notified of what my randomly assigned license plate number would be, I decided that "18Yblahblahblah" didn't really do the Vespa justice. So I started looking into vanity plates….


This is the plate I wanted. If I lived in Idaho, I probably would have gotten it, too, only it would have said "Idaho" on top. Unfortunately, I live in California, where it's the equivalent of 20 Idahos sharing one license plate pool, and one of the 4 bazillion other drivers here has already snagged this one. The same goes for "DOLCE," "DLCEVTA," "GOVESPA," "75 MPG," "80 MPG," "RMNHLDY," "FELLINI," and so on. The only one I came up with that was available was "QT VESPA," but then I banged my head against the wall several times just for thinking of it. (And if you don't get the Fellini reference and, therefore, the title of this very blog, then you should get yourself a-googlin').

The people who I would usually turn to for help on this matter are my own parents, Dave and Mary, because they are couple of zany wordsmiths. I can't begin to explain how many Ess family dinner conversations were devoted to who could come up with the most clever name for a business we had no intention of opening. I honestly don't know how they ever found each other. Except that I do, cause they've told me the story a million times, and it always ends with Mary Dear-Johning a guy named Elder Buckmiller who was then residing in South America. Come to think of it, maybe their mutual love for crazy words was inspired by E.B.'s name and the fact that Dave and Mary had to say it with straight faces so many times during their courtship.

Point is, I can't ask Dave and Mary for help because they still don't know about the Vespa and/or this blog. The "coming out" logistics are the subject of a future post--right now I just need help with the plates.

So, any suggestions? We're working with a limit of seven characters plus one half-space. Alas, those Wingdings symbols that are so popular with the vanity plate crowd are not available on motorcycle plates. If you are interested in checking the availability of your suggestion, you can do it here—but I don't mind checking it for you. I'm just desperate for ideas.

And since I've learned a thing or two from Paternity Pants' and JBeany's recent quizzes, I am willing to offer a prize to the winner: your choice of either (a) some Vespa swag, or (b) a spin on the Vespa (as in, you get to drive it for a short time at a location that depends on your experience). For obvious reasons, minors, non-Angelenos and persons unknown to me are only eligible for Prize A, but it will still be good.

FYI, I'm already ruling out "BUCKMLR."

9 comments:

sara said...

Oooh, this is fun! Okay, I'll try to come up with a few more but for starters:
VSP4EVR is available
ARIVDRC is available spelled that way, but ARVDRCI is not. This is arrivederci of course. I think an Italian-based word would be a lovely idea. I'll try to think of more. I got the idea for VSP4EVR from this: http://www.scooterproducts.com/catalog.php?category=Vespa%20Forever%20(Book)%20NEW

Emily said...

ok, my suggestions so far are:

VESPA BB (which I originally planned to have stand for Barbie, but it looks more like Baby)
FOLACCI- it's your very own signature word, so why not use it!
IDLLACI- "I don't look like a complete idiot"- much more fitting now that you're a pro
DOLCE G and DLCE GNY are both available too, which I think are super cute. Dolce G could by your new gang name.

Surely I will get bored at work tomorrow and think of more.

Mrs. Dub said...

hmm ... is it possible that the Ess talent is limited to businesses, movie and/or book titles? because i'm kind of drawing a blank. although i am found of FOLACCI and DOLCE G.

here's a few attempts, however, all with an italian spin:
MOTO MIO
BICI BB
BUONOBY
NOVICIO
CICLETA

... and my personal favorite -
PER NICO (who made an appearance in Fellini's Vita.)

Renee said...

Dang...I'm too slow. I was totally going to suggest FOLLACI. I also like emily's suggestion of IDLLACI. DOLCE G is cute too...Totally perfect gang name (gives you street cred).

Ryan said...

OK Cheyn and I thought of these:
VSPAESQ
VSPAGAL
VSPAGRL
DLCEVSP
This is really hard. We give up.

Evan said...

I'm going to continue to work on more "la dolce"-type vanity plates, but in the meantime there are things like "ROOM4 2", or "EAT VSPA" (in reference to the potential Vespa gang. I wanted to abbreviate "sweet life" to "SWT LIFE" but it looks like "swat life" or far worse "sweat life."

I will voice my concern that "DOLCE G" would be a little close to looking like an LA girl with a weird obsession with Dolce & Gabanna (spelling?).

I'm still thinking...

Evan said...

-VTA BLLA or BLLA VTA
-VNI VICI (perhaps a little aggressive)
-DRGN RED
-I do like VSPA ESQ
-MOTO MIO is grrrreat!! (although I think it would be MOTO MIA for you, but the O-O is fun...)
-And one of the perks of FOLLACI and IDLLACI is that people might think they're Italian words and ponder them forever...

I'm stumped, too. I'll have to ask The Wife

Amy G. said...

I think it is all about ME VESPA, which has several different meanings:
1. ME Vespa: as in MY Vespa
2. ME Vespa: as in ME Tarzan, You Jane
3. Me VESPA: You could create another "Ginnyism" and start substituting the word "Vespa" for "Likey", so this could be read as "Me Vespa, Me Vespa" (Me Likey My Vespa)

If not, I do like DRGN RED...

ginny said...

Sheesh--A girl takes a weekend off blogging and all her friends come to the rescue. What great suggestions! It's going to be hard to pick...