7.10.2007

They Know

I'll bet her parents took this picture...

So I know I promised a three-episode forum regarding how to tell Dave and Mary ( i.e., the 'rents) about the Vespa, complete with alternate endings and a swell soundtrack, but I'm afraid the deed has been done.

It all started when they called me from AZ last Thursday to say they were sick of the 118 degree heat. Go figure. "We're coming out there!" they said. "There" being here. "Here" being California. "California" being the general location where the Vespa is parked.

Just so you know, I have the most supportive parents on the planet. I could tell them that I was joining a band of rogue Trekkies who are building an undersea armed enclave where they will sequester themselves and practice polyester-clad human sacrifice until the Vulcan gods respond by setting the earth ablaze, sparing only those who were smart enough to live in the ocean and wear nonflammable materials and Dave and Mary would say "Neat!" while Dave's eyes rolled back in his head and Mary looked like she was going to pass out. So I didn't conceal the Vespa purchase from them because I was afraid they would be mad or because I'm not a grown-up who can make her own decisions; rather, I did it so they wouldn't worry too much while I was learning.

Okay, and a small part of me thinks maybe I concealed it for fear of furthering my reputation as the recklessly irresponsible kid in the family. Some families have a black sheep, but we really don't. However, we do seem to have a pink polka-dotted sheep that wears a beanie and rides a skateboard with a lollipop in her mouth, and that sheep has switched off between me and Mrs. Dub in the past, but ever since Mrs. Dub pulled out her tongue ring and went on a church mission, it seems like that sheep is me.

How I got this reputation is beyond me. For those of you who don't know, I've got three sibs: Mrs. Gee, Mrs. Dub and, for lack of a better moniker, Archie. In the past two months, Archie has graduated from school, moved, gotten married, gone to Europe for job interviews, accepted a job offer in Spain, and set into motion the mountain of paperwork required to live and work there. About the only things I did during the same period of time were watch a lot of Law & Order reruns and buy a Vespa. Mrs. Gee and Mrs. Dub have each had a darling baby in the past year. And although I realize that buying a Vespa might be viewed as both (a) dangerous, and (b) financially unsound, it is no more dangerous than living in the terrorist hotspot of Western Europe, and it is no more expensive than committing to feed, clothe, and house another human being for at least eighteen years. What's more, I can always sell the Vespa once I've had my fill of it. Try doing that with a baby. Or Spain.

I have a sneaking suspicion my bad name may or may not have something to do with a certain 1975 VW Bug, which may or may not have been purchased with money Dave and Mary provided to me to pay for college, and which may or may not have been so ill-suited for driving that it ended up as a disco ball, but I guess I'll never know for sure.

In typical fashion, I foresaw the need to break the Vespa news to Dave and Mary from the minute they announced their trip, but procrastinated figuring out how to do so until the three of us were standing in my parking garage, staring at the Vespa, and some sort of ABC After School Special type phrase like "I've got something I have to tell you!" came stumbling out of my mouth. I pointed to the dragon red beaut and told them it was mine and they both said "Neat!" while Dave's eyes rolled back in his head and Mary looked like she was going to pass out.

You'll be glad to know that the next twenty-four hours were filled with so much spontaneous Vespa propaganda that I believe I truly convinced Dave, Mary, and myself that Vespas are the universal solution to all the world's ills. Once they got over their initial shock, Dave and Mary insisted on taking pictures of me riding the Vespa so they could post them on a different blog. I have to admit that, as a thirty-one year old woman, I was a little chagrined at the notion of riding my red bike up and down the street while my parents waved and snapped photos of me, but I was willing to so debase myself if it meant they could make peace with the Vespa. Unfortunately, I had already subconsciously willed Dave's fancy camera to break—an event of cataclysmic proportions as Dave and Mary were minutes away from traveling to visit with the supernaturally photogenic Lil' Gee—and my own photo shoot was quickly forgotten in the ensuing drama.

So, I apologize to all five of my commenting readers for not involving you in the great Vespa-outing of 2007—but feel free to post your suggestions anyway. I'm sure they will come in handy on the next big secret.

Oh, and kudos to Mrs. Dub and Mrs. Gee for managing to keep the secret for so long. And apologies to Archie and the Mrs. – although they are just as trustworthy as the other sibs, their dangerous proximity to Dave and Mary prevented full disclosure. Naturally, I'm hoping they'll consider getting a Vespa in Spain and heading the European chapter of my scooter gang.

16 comments:

Leslie said...

alls i know is, those Ess family sheep look awfully adorable in beanies and on skateboards, and in vw bugs. and on vespas, i'm sure.
with tongue rings, i'm not so sure. ;)

P Daddy said...

I probably should have made the following comment here rather than here:

Actually, the parents are still feeling a little conflicted about the Vespa, but we're trying hard to accept the shiny little red Italian into our family and adjust to our daughter's previously secret lifestyle. We're alternatively gratifed and irritated that her siblings knew and didn't tell for these long weeks. But we are unreservedly converted to the blog--she is brilliant and she is ours.

Yes, Mrs. Dub did pretty much hold down the PDS (polka dot sheep) title into college and through, say, the Yellow House. Vespa girl has pretty much had it to herself since then. But the Vespa is no VW. For one, the Vespa came red, though who knows when it may sport flames or contrasting white panels. And, it was acquired with hard-earned money, not gifted school money. And, one is supposed to see the ground rushing by one's feet on a Vespa versus the thrill of a rusted out VW with no floorboard, brakes, or chance of starting in the cold. But, the Vespa probably would make a really cool disco ball.

steph said...

did you forget about archie's mohawk and bearded phases? maybe he didn't sport the pink polka dots, but surely he was a different kind of sheep (possibly adorned with red/black stars, band t-shirt and studded collar?)...

mommie said...

When I picked myself off the ground of said parking garage -- surrounded by a grayish haze illuminated in the middle in dragon red -- I heard the following phrase which suddenly clarified everything in my life . . . "Oh, and I've started a blog of my own . . ."
After that I didn't care (as much?) that my precious first-born was exposing her extremities to the dangers of big city crazies and nasty, black, cinder-filled streets. I only knew that the world would be a better place if they could benefit from the wit and wisdom of my girl.

P Daddy said...

Stef--I was thinking behaviorially and financially, not so much tonsorially or sartorially. Besides, I was fine with the different beards and the indie band tees. The mohawk was short-lived (though not deeply loved), and we just don't talk about the studs (still, better in your clothes than your tongue or other fleshen sites). Besides, the sisters believe Archie always got dispensation for things that would have landed them in a convent. But since he was smart enough to go for a Betty and not a Veronica, it's all good. And, I suppose, a Vespa's not so bad as long as there isn't a a Jughead, Moose, or (most likely in BH), Reggie on the back behind my daughter.

sara said...

I learn so much from these posts! Love the Ess's; love the memories. Also, being on vacation with my fam currently and having spent very much time with my siblings these past several days, I've been teased relentless on my lack of decent storytelling ability and wonder if you might soon host a workshop?

Renee said...

The world now makes a little more sense.

cheyney webb said...

I always thought I had the coolest family but I see the Webbs have some STRONG compitition.

Renee said...

I was thinking about this post this morning (yes, it's that good...it occupies my blow drying time) and I realized that our parents are TOTAL opposites (and mine clearly don't care for my safety as much as yours do). When I was approaching 16 my dad kept threatening to buy me a scooter in order to save money on purchasing his oldest daughter a car (and presumably to save me gas money). I was mortified (FOLICI, natch for a 16 year old) so I begged him not to do it. I wanted a Jeep. Instead he bought me a 1974 VW Bug - yellow. So, while your parents were fretting over all of your vehicle purchases, my parents were pushing the same on me. Turns out my parents knew me well (my bug - may she rest in peace - is to this day my prized possession. and who knew I'd one day covet a dragon red vespa?) Parents know best, I guess!

Mrs. Dub said...

now i'm feeling a little jealous that i lost my polka-dotted beanie-wearin' status so long ago. i thought a few of my post-mission antics were beanie-worthy, but i guess my make-out antics had lost their edge at that point.

so i'm off to get me and miss dub tongue rings. apparently, that's what it takes to regain the beanie. and it's a price we're willing to pay.

hilari said...

love the blog - love the vespa. the dub and i wore matching beanies. but i think i lost mine somewhere around the year 2000 when my first born entered the picture and when the dub went on a mission. although i have been seeing a few poka dotted items in my wardrobe lately...

type type type said...

if television network executives weren't slightly stupider than our commander in chief, I'd say the Esses could have their own show.

excellent writing. rivals arrested development / simpsons / anything from mr. sorkin.

thank you for publishing. can't wait for the next episode....

Kate said...

I have been waiting for the promised tales of when/how the news was broken... and I love that I was invited to read the blog from the beginning...
Delightful reading, and I really do love the Ess family stories. And Sara really could use a little help with hers.

Anonymous said...

1. all members of my family refer to dave and mary ess as "dave and mary ess," including marie. we have even contemplated getting WWDAMD? bracelets.
2. a good way to tell them might have been to present the situation as preparatory for meeting ANOTHER spicy red italian that has changed your life. though i cannot promise to be as shiny, i am certain i could find something red to wear. then, you could explain that the italian transport was your reward for not being distracted and failing out of law school due to your associations with the italian human. we can talk later about how to explain my souther accent and predeliction for ending sentences with prepositions despite a doctorate.
3. though other ess children antics may have all pointed towards bss (black sheep status) at one time or another, i believe it is miss dolce's title due to being the youngest ess to ever cause such alarm at church that well meaning church lady felt it necessary to call mary and alert her to her precocious (hellbound?) cum punk 6 year old's devotion to the color black, whether minidolce had expressly stated "pink AND black" as a set or not. youngest ess ever to cause least likely to work for pantone primary teacher apoplexy award? minidolce.
5. re: vw fiasco's--> it could be worse, you could have been repeatedly pulled over by the po-lice for the exhaust extender you refused to take off, a la my friends, circa 1995.

delrond said...

Hey great blog! I have finally now got round to setting my own blog up. It's very new and I would really appreciate any feedback you could give me.

You can check out the first few posts at http://modvespa.com

Thank you

Danny (ModVespa.com)

Anonymous said...

namudnos avenuenorth napster following williams integrity publicize opec evaluationit ashutosh historical
lolikneri havaqatsu