7.03.2007

And the winner is...

VSPAESQ! I love this suggestion because it has a double meaning: (1) "Vespaesque," which sounds exactly like a word I would invent, and (2) "Vespa Esquire," which is funny, because what kind of self-respecting legal practitioner would buzz around on a Vespa? No kind, that's for sure. Lucky for me, I am completely devoid of self-respect.

So congrats to Ryan for winning the contest! As Ryan is a stuffy Easterner these days, he gets Prize A by default. Once he provides me his new mailing address (as in, NOT Cheyney's parents' address as we all know how well that's been working), I will send him his swell Vespa swag.

That said, every suggestion was fabulous and far better than anything I came up with. I was especially fond of all the Italiano (say it with feeling!) suggestions. I thought about listing the runners-up, but then thought better of it. It was actually hard to make a qualitative choice from contributions from friends and fam and I feel like kind of a jerk for not ordering plates with every suggestion. Alas, they are $41.00 a pop and I don't really know what I'd do with all of them, aside from the obvious (committing crimes while riding the Vespa, then switching out plates to conceal my identity). In fact, I should probably add $41.00 for vanity plates to my list of "unexpected costs" of owning a scooter from a few posts back.

And for the record, I am personally not that fond of signing my name "Ginny, Esq." as it makes me feel all smarmy inside. But then sometimes my irritation when opposing counsel's secretary assumes I'm some file clerk and repeatedly talks down to me gets the best of me and I send her an email with my full-on "Esq., disclaimer, disclaimer, disclaimer" signature block just so she knows who she's dealing with! And then I feel doubly smarmy and prideful, but I also feel vindicated knowing I out-smarmed her.

Happy Fourth of July everyone!

5 comments:

Ryan said...

Oh wow! This makes my day!

cheyney webb said...

How funny that Ryan takes the credit. I think actually, I came up with that one. But I guess we are a team. Yeah! I thought all of our creative juices were dead.

sara said...

Out-smarmed is going in the book.

Mrs. Dub said...

maybe if you didn't grease your hair back and wear so many gold chains you'd feel a little less swarmy.

just a suggestion.

ginny said...

My apologies, Cheyney--in reviewing Ryan's now historical VESPAESQ comment, he did say it was a team effort! I guess I need to read beyond the names when I'm naming victors.