11.29.2007

Game on, Gap. Game. On.

So it turns out that in addition to (1) putting that crazy striped sweater print on everything, (2) taking all sorts of cutesy couple photos of Amy Poehler and G.O.B. (can't you just hear him saying "I've made a terrible mistake" after putting on that pom-pom scarf?), and (3) hawking their overpriced yet adorable Vespa, Gap is also celebrating the holiday shopping season with GapTidings – i.e., 60-second video greeting cards you make and send to those who love you (and advertise Gap and Yahoo! in the process). But wait—if yours is one of the three best GapTidings uploaded by Dec. 12th, you will win your very own Gap Vespa!

For about five minutes this morning, I thought this was my big chance to redeem my now useless film degree—but then I remembered how I don't have anywhere to park the striped Vespa, and how I'm not financially eager to license and insure a third vehicle. Plus, sometimes ignorance really is bliss. I'm sure the winning entries will all be very simple and comical, whereas the noirish GapTiding I had in mind will take no less than three weeks to produce and a budget of about $2000. So I stopped storyboarding and decided to forget the whole GapTidings thing and go with Plan B: dropping by a Gap outlet around President's Day in hopes of locating a Vespa tucked away in the clearance rack. If I find one, it was meant to be…

That said, I know there are future scooter gang members out there with a good GapTiding in them. Let me know if you enter one, and I will vote for you.

One final thing—when did "the Gap" become just "Gap"? Does that mean Yahoo! will one day be Yahoo. (?) Just curious.

6 comments:

steph said...

i'd totally go for it, but i, too, have nowhere to park the cute vespa... it's very sad b/c i know that i'd win...

unless YOU entered of course.

Mary said...

I would totally do it, but I have been seriously advised not to go with horizontal stripes.

Seriously.

Angy said...

dooo eeeeet.

P Daddy said...

Hey, he played G.O.B. and he married Amy Poehler. He can't be too worried about his image and probably spends his full time trying to get his wife off speed (nobody is that hyperkenetic naturally are they...well maybe Robin Williams, Tom Arnold, and Dana Carvey, but 2 of those 3 did have drug problems). Granted, I can see a Segway/Vespa connection for G.O.B, but Caitlin couldn't sit still long enough to ride a scooter. But I got no ideas for an ad (other than maybe a faded color, discount Vespa that says Hollister on the side)...as I just told your mother, I have no original or permanent knowledge or creativity--if the Internet goes down my IQ is 90.

hilari said...

here's an idea, make it and when you win i know of a certain "almost" sister who would be happy to keep, insure, and license this for you.

by the way, how about an IOU for the film budget?

mr. underhill said...

I also think that it will become Gogle.

If only I could get paid for just rambling about whatever comes to mind. I mean I do that now but I don't see any royalties pouring in. What a charmed life G.O.B. leads.