2.04.2009

Now taking requests

Oh sweet Sara. Thank you for the shout-out and request for commentary on a recent LDS Midsingle Activity that we both attended. Since I have quite a few non-LDS friends and readers, I’ll have to do a little back story, and then, in my usual long-winded nature, I will probably spend far too many words on far too little substance or laughs, but here goes:

Ahem.

Times are tough for the LDS Midsingle. If you do not know what this phrase means, then you are either not LDS or not single or neither, in which case your life is eons better than mine because, as every Midsingle knows, nothing is worse than being a Midsingle, not even an abusive spouse or a terminal illness or addiction or living in third-world poverty. As you may have guessed, we Midsingles are more than a little self-absorbed and often self-pitying. But it’s not our fault, you see, as we have spent our entire lives being the most important person in our entire lives. Isn’t that sad? Do you need a Kleenex yet? No? Then you are a soulless monster, probably with children.

To better explain, Midsingles are those members of the LDS Church who are unmarried and generally between the ages of 31 and 45. Singles under 31 are called “Young Single Adults” or “YSAs” and, in larger metropolitan areas, the Church has organized entire congregations of YSAs to encourage them to socialize with one another, get married and thereby avoid—you guessed it—the pitfalls of Midsingledom. Singles over the 45-ish range are just called “Single Adults” or “Old People.” Ironically, my research has shown that Midsingles are more likely than YSAs to refer to Single Adults by the more derogatory phrase.

Generally, if you turn 31 and are still single, you are expected to leave your YSA group and attend and participate in a regular congregation (referred to by almost everyone in the Church as just a “Ward” except for Midsingles who, caving to their incessant need to point out their self-perceived outsider status, call it a “Family Ward”). This transition is rougher on some than others, but I am not going to get into that as it is a personal thing and I only know my own experience. Except that I do want to point out that it was not rough on me. I braved it like the champion transitioner that I am. I expect my Bishop is going to call me to the stand any Sunday now and publicly bestow upon me some sort of new and colorful medallion the Church has made and named in my honor, namely the “La Dolce Vespa in Action Personal Progress and Accountability with Integrity for Choosing the Right Ward Award.”

So I haven’t been a Midsingle long enough to know how long this has been in the making, but Midsingles around the world are beginning to unite and revolt and demand YSA-like activities and meetings for themselves. And they’re having conferences. Lots of them. Where they talk about being Midsingle. And play silly games. And dance to Depeche Mode. Some more enthusiastically than others or, more accurately, most more enthusiastically than me. Let’s just say the new Church medallion for “Duty to Praiseworthy Two-Stepping and Just Can’t Get Enough Weasel Scout Award” will have to be named after someone else.

I have tried my best to support this new Midsingles movement—really I have. But there is something holding me back from getting super excited about it. Maybe it’s because I don’t like to practice self-pity. It’s certainly not for the lack of good company. Lest I have made us sound too pathetic, I must state that most of the Midsingles I personally know are awesome individuals with stories, travels, accomplishments, professions, and viewpoints that are downright inspiring. Take Sara for example. Although she’s still a YSA, she was trying out Midsingledom for the night, so she counts. She’s a fancy CPA working for a fancy accounting firm that sends her on fancy business trips to places like India where she spends months at a time. But despite awesome people like Sara in the crowd, the minute someone gathers us all into a meetinghouse and starts spinning Depeche Mode and screaming “Let’s play kissing rugby,” the group dynamic takes a nasty, self-pitying nosedive which causes me to watch every second tick by on the clock and do deep-breathing exercises in order to restrain myself from banging my head against the cinderblock wall until I pass out.

I know I am not alone in my reluctant approach to Midsingles activities, but I have yet to come across anyone who has a real answer to the problem. Perhaps, given the aforementioned stories, travels, accomplishments, professions and viewpoints our demographic has to offer, our time together would be better spent on things other than 90s music and 80s games. What such an activity would involve, I’m not quite sure. Group therapy is just one suggestion.

So back to Sara and our recent activity. I had the inside scoop on this one and happen to know there was a lot of time, effort and thought put into it. Still, it is what it is--a Midsingles activity. The group dynamic was not perfect but it was far improved and for that I am grateful. We did play a number of “getting to know you” games, including one where we were required to “sew” ourselves to an entire team of people by threading a long string up and down all of our clothes. Nothing says “getting to know you” like tying yourself to a total stranger and then helping him partially undress so you can get to the knot under his shirt and free yourself from the tether thereto. Next time someone should probably bring scissors.

And so I must conclude that the activity was a success in that I ate some good food and met a few new people and generally refrained from entertaining too many self-pitying thoughts. But I guess it was a failure in that I didn’t get engaged by the end of the night. No really, I double-checked my ring figure a couple of times afterward and, wouldn’t you know it, nothing there.

Oh well, back to doing whatever I want whenever I want and spending my money however I want and riding my Vespa if I want and taking spur-of-the-moment trips to NYC for President’s Day Weekend without having to book a babysitter and sleeping through the night every night and generally being the center of my own universe. Not much cause for self-pity in there now that I think about it, but what do I know? I’m just a Midsingle.

(oh, and we are in the process of deciding on a new look for this blog, so please ignore the mess in the interim. apologies for taking the links down, but they need serious updating.)

14 comments:

Evan said...

The excitement of being the first to comment has completely wiped out any thoughts I had to share, questions to ask, or the like... sorry.

Evan said...

Okay, got one... we used to always request "Panic" by The Smiths when church dances took a turn for the worse. It's one of those jokes that you only get if you listen to lyrics. Needless to say that the other two guys (who were equally lame as me) and I thought it was funny every time.

Unknown said...

Genius!

One hard thing about this age group (a former YSA that almost made it to be a mid sinlgle) is that somehow being single means you still have to do the same getting to know you activities you did as a teenager at youth conference. I mean your coworkers are worrying about getting child support and spending the weekend in Santa Clarita, and you spent the weekend in this weird limbo...

Unknown said...

PS
Santa Clarita=Santa Barbra
out of LA too long.

ryan

sara said...

There has to be a better way.
But it is good to hear from you. Sara is so right (must be the name); if you don't submit some of your writing to a major LDS publication soon I may have to do it for you.

Thank goodness everything on La Dolce Vespa is online and available for reading; I love that I can go back and relive the Bug Chronicles anytime I want!

Sara said...

This was everything I dreamed it would be! Or is it dreamt? I dunno. You're the better writer!! Hope to see you again soon.

P Daddy said...

I'm pretty sure the sew them togther mixer game wasn't delivered by revelation or pulled from any official handbook. Programs, as opposed to doctrines, are pretty dependent on the participants and leadership to succeed and to be adapted to the needs of the constitutent group. You and Sara offer hope that with time attitudes in and out of the group may change, and perhaps the dance music will only be a decade dated.

In the meantime, maybe more service projects (getting to know each other by working side by side and having spontaneous, natural conversations) and other "outside of ourselves" activites would be better than trying to mix, dance and pot luck the way to matrimony.

Renee said...

Funny that most of the comments so far have been from people who never had to experience the horror or Midsingledom. Coming close doesn't really count :) So...I guess I shouldn't talk either...but I'm within two months, so I feel like I have valued input. Moving to a new place with no LDS friends and being two months away from "aging out" of the singles ward has placed me in a very precarious position. I'm pretty stoked about going to a "family ward". Mostly because I am WAY too old to be friends with 22 year olds who (as mentioned by C&R) maybe still like playing kissing rugby and threading themselves together. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for kissing and threading, but I think it should be done in the privacy of my own home with just one person. I went to my first midsingles FHE this week. And, to my delighted surprise, I found a small group of really fantastic people. I'm not sure why I was surprised since I'm fantastic, and I'm not sure why they'd be any different from me. I have soooo much more to say about this...but my comment is almost as long as your post now. Perhaps I'll do a post of my own??

leigh said...

Ginny, I love your blog. Everytime a post pops up on my reader I know I'm going to get to have more than a few laughs.

And the only other thing I have to say . . . kissing rugby? really?

Mary said...

All I have to say is that at my first official activity at BYU we played the "pass the orange" game and I thought "Seriously? This is a BYU thing??"

But, don't get me wrong ... I still played it.

cheyney webb said...

I am so glad you took Sara's request. I love to see your view of Mid-Single events. You think with as many accomplished and smart people out there, they could come up with something better than prepubescent games. Oh well.

Tat said...

My favorite anecdote from living in NYC (where, parenthetically, I was a YSA but where there is a virtual tornado of Midsingledom activity) stems from a night where the activity consisted of a dating tips discussion, complete with panel. At one point in the (by this time strained) conversation, my friend Chris stands and declares, "I think these are all things we should just be talking about with our therapists."

And by the way, I am afraid to ask what kissing rugby is.

Matt said...

My advice as a person who spends a great deal of time and effort in promoting the Midsingles cause, in fact helping areas the country get their Midsingles programs and wards started, is don't judge one local activity (and knowing "your" area, I would say "their" activities are a little lacking and cheesy) as the litmus test that all Midsingles across the Church interact the same way. A lot of areas, that have Midsingles activities, "get it" and have hip, cool, engaging activities that treat Midsingles as adults. In fact, contrary to popular belief, most Midsingles move on to get married and start a family. So there's no need for the 12-step pity parties.

Anonymous said...

ho! this is hilarious. and representative of my own MSA experiences/sarcasms/thoughts.

though there are good MSA activities (thank you Matt for spearheading them), I HOPE, along with P Daddy, that there might be less silly activities and more age-appropriate fabulous opportunities (service / great conversations / etc.)

we are, after all, the luckiest group of people in the church (vespa / nyc trips / naps). sarcasm aside, I DO look for the good in my situation. And like Renee, I find that I am fantastic. it's just difficult to remember as I 'dance' to New Order in the same gymnasiums I've frequented since I was 14.