9.12.2007

It's Not Easy Being Green

Life with Vespa continues, but I’m always beating myself up about not driving the Vespa more than I do. A while ago I made a goal to start driving it to work one day a week, and I have yet to fulfill that goal. Part of it is a snoozing issue, part of it is a wardrobe issue, and part of it is a fear issue. Still, I feel guilty.

But consider this, which I pulled off the Vespanomics Fact Sheet:


If Americans were to switch just 10% of their total mileage to scooters, they would consume 14 - 18 million gallons less fuel per day and carbon dioxide emissions could be reduced by 324 million
pounds per day as well. (Source ICR survey, May 2006).

On a personal level, they could also reduce fuel consumption by approximately 58%, carbon dioxide emissions by 80%, and significantly reduce traffic congestion.

By my calculations, I have switched 20% of my total mileage from the Jeep to the Vespa. This is based on nothing more than the fact that the Jeep used to go through at least 4 tanks of gas per month, but now goes through 3-ish. Indeed, I do almost all my weekend driving on the Vespa. Last Sunday I even rode it to church and learned a valuable lesson in the process: do not ride the Vespa while wearing a pencil skirt.

Still, that’s a personal savings of about $50 a month without even trying. Also, I have to admit that while I’m no environmental activist, it feels good to know I’m doing my part, even if there’s room for improvement.

But Piaggio (which manufactures the Vespa) is taking it further:


In an effort to position motor scooters and motorcycles as a viable solution for America's oil dependency problems, Piaggio Group Americas is encouraging local and federal government agencies to consider adopting parking and traffic reforms that facilitate the use of two-wheel vehicles as a transportation alternative available to the general public.

This got me thinking about the lousy parking available for two-wheeled vehicles. Let’s face it: everyone gets mad when they see a scooter taking up a whole, real parking space. And while it’s true that I’ve generally found great “alternative” parking for the Vespa, to date I think I’ve only legally parked the thing once. Most of the time I park in those spaces with lines painted through them and miraculously get away with it. I stopped parking in the blue ones once I realized they were there to enable disabled persons to exit their vehicle. So the yellow ones are all I’ve got left. And as I’ve mentioned before, most LA parking garages are not scooter-friendly because entrance requires setting off a weight sensor in addition to taking one’s ticket.

I realize scooters are not a solution for everyone or practical for every trip. Obviously, I don’t begrudge moms (or dads) for driving cars big enough to hold multiple little people when required. And even on the weekends I take the Jeep to places like Costco or Home Depot. But I’m curious:


  • If the purchase price, gear, and insurance were not an issue, would you consider getting a scooter (or smaller motorcycle)?

  • If so, what would you use it for—commute, pleasure, or both?

  • If not, what are your reasons (family’s too big, safety concerns, etc.)?

9 comments:

Evan said...

My biggest concern about riding a Vespa is the femininity factor, after that it's a safety thing. I don't trust cars not to kill me. I've already been drilled while driving a car, I'd be dead if I was riding a scooter.

Once they create dedicated lanes I might think about. I still think the Segway would be cool. But in lieu of all that I try to do my part by riding mass transit and walking. The solution is already out there, it just takes a little bit of sucking it up to ride the slow, stinky bus. I think the "Loser Cruiser" is fun.

P Daddy said...

I'm with Evan, I'd feel more macho and safer (but not safe) on a small motorcycle or even a bicycle than on a scooter. I've done some bike commuting at different times in my life, and it's scary, even though you are not nearly as in the traffic as a scooter is.

I think a hybrid or minicar or public transportation may be a bit less green but a lot more practical. [Parenthetically, I kind of wonder what kind of green Piaggio is really chasing with their "make the world safe for scooters" campaign.] Another plus with public transportation is that riders who miss the bus (or train) or want to be expressive with other commuters have a cute little one-fingered affinity wave of their own. But trust me, nothing will get you into the FOLLACI hall of fame quicker than waiting for a bus in a business suit in the middle of the Phoenix summer.

Kate said...

I have a few reasons for not wanting a scooter...
1. It's too hot in Phoenix for a lot of the year.
2. The obvious reason... It wouldn't really work with 3 kids in tow.
3. The MAIN reason.... I'm just way too wimpy. I'd be afraid of getting hit by a car and getting completely crushed. I feel safe in my Jeep.
I think you're so brave for doing it though, and I applaud you. :)

Angy said...

I think the Vespa look is awesome! And if it weren't for the safety reasons I'd totally get one!Unfortunately, I know three people who've died on motorcycles (all hit by drunk drivers in cars! not because of the motorcyclist) and many that have had bad accidents! :( So that does kind of scare me. And living in Arizona it might be a little too warm to drive one more than a couple months out of the year :P But for economical reasons, I think they're great!

steph said...

i would definitely want a scooter... unfortunately, i currently live in the suv capital of the world, and i just could not feel safe on a scooter. that said, i'm pretty much a chicken, and 2 wheeled vehicles scare me all the time. yes, even bicicletas.

Renee said...

I'm all about scooters. If I had the money to buy one in LA I definitely would have. But, I probably wouldn't have taken it on the freeway...because people are crazy and I don't have a death wish (though I'm not at all discouraging your work commute Ginny).

Here in Portland I have a problem...I work 45 miles away from home. So, I am sure my carbon footprint is HUGE (especially compared to my tiny real footprint) because I drive 90 miles a day. That should be incentive for getting a scooter...but I can't imagine sitting on a scooter for 90 miles a day is comfortable and it would take twice as long. Plus, it rains here...I don't want to show up at work like I just came in from a swim. So, call me an American, but I like my comforts. If work were a little closer and it didn't rain 8 months out of the year...I'd definitely be your scooter gang, pacific northwest chapter.

Emily said...

Yeah, I think I would get one if I had some money to burn. My only problem is that most of the driving I do is to the valley on the freeway, and I don't think I could make that work on a scooter. Also, I am known for using my car as a storage vessel, and if I just drove a scooter, where would I keep all my stuff?

Cheryl said...

I would buy and drive a Vespa if I had the money. My family had a scooter when I was young; I have fond memories of driving on the back with various family members. Though, I was sad that I didn't get a chance to drive the family scooter as it died before I was of driving age. I think a Vespa-type vehicle could integrate easily into my life and could see myself driving it to work everyday. However, I wouldn't replace the car entirely (though it might quit me soon with the way it's been acting).

ginny said...

Just to clarify (and put the parents' fears to rest), if I drive the Vespa to work, it will not be on the freeway. As a result, it will take me about 15 mins. longer to get there. One of the great things about having a scooter is that it makes you discover all the scenic, sidestreet routes to places you would normally take the freeway.

I also have to say that I think it has been easier to learn to ride the Vespa here in West LA where the congestion (not to mention stop lights on every block) keep the flow of traffic pretty slow. I would be much more hesitant to take the thing out for the first time in North Scottsdale, where people regularly go 65mph on those wide seven-lane streets.

As for the heat, I HAVE ridden the Vespa in 90-degree heat (on Labor Day), and I was still glad I had my hoodie on. The wind is coming at you so strong that, unless you're stopped for a REALLY long time, you never feel any heat.