9.15.2007

Postscript on the Green Thing

Thanks for all the awesome comments regarding your personal proclivity for scooter-riding, which reminded me about a few more shareable scooter tidbits.

So, I don't know how many of you are already familiar with the Piaggio MP3, pictured below:


As you can see, it's a three-wheeled scooter. As you can also see, it is a little strange-looking because those crazy Italians put the third wheel in the front, while we Americans generally prefer our third wheels in the back. I don't know if it's fair to say the MP3 "took the scooter world by storm," since the scooter world seems impervious to storming because it is both cool as a cucumber and incredibly factionalized by brand loyalties--but the MP3 WAS the most-anticipated innovation in a long time in an industry that has remained relatively stagnant for 50 or so years.

Apparently, Piaggio spent a great deal of time and effort engineering the MP3 so that the two "independent" front wheels were capable of tilting up to 40 degrees, like so:



The advertised result is that the "MP3 provides safety, road grip and stability levels that no two-wheeler can match. Its power, performance and ease of use make for a very entertaining ride." No doubt the MP3 would be easier to learn to ride than a standard scooter in the same way that training wheels make it easier to learn to ride a bicycle. It would also be way more convenient in parking and other situations, where I often find myself frustrated while trying to do one thing with my left hand while supporting the entire weight of the Vespa with my right hand--like take off my gloves, pull out a parking ticket, etc. Usually, my teeth have to get involved at some point. (Of course, this wouldn't be so much of a problem if my legs were of average length and could both reach the ground at the same time while I was on the Vespa to hold it steady.)

And next year, the MP3 (along with a wimpy Vespa LX 50) will be available in a HYBRID version. You sacrifice your entire cargo space under the seat for the battery, but isn't helping the environment and saving on gas worth wearing a gigantic and unattractive backpack everywhere you go?

Unfortunately, the cost of all that engineering has been passed on to the consumer. The scooter world (specifically, the scooter blogging world) has lauded the "fun" factor of the MP3, but railed against its $7000+ price tag. Indeed, the dealership where I bought my Vespa had several MP3s in stock and almost every shopper paused to look at them and sit on them, but I didn't see anyone buy one. I also haven't seen any on the streets of West LA, where I regularly see Bentleys, Lotuses and other vehicles that appeal to the "Look at me! I'm driving something expensive and different!" motorist.

Come to think of it, maybe if Piaggio raised the MP3 price to $170,000, they would sell a few more around here...

11 comments:

steph said...

that new 3 wheeled scooter looks more like my g-pa's rascal than a cool-factor scooter... still, safety is important; though it doesn't fix the problem that there's no metal/plastic/glass all around for protection, so in an accident with a car/truck/van/suv, the 3 wheeled scooter motorist is still out of luck.

P Daddy said...

MP3, almost thou convinceth me to be a scooterist. Besides, only an Italian could think of using just a subscript to avoid infringing the name of the most popular music file format. That's almost Chinese of you. But it does look and seem to perform very cool/cooly.

Stef is right though, other than better balance, it still isn't any safer, but, then even though pricey for a scooter, it's still less than half the cost of a Honda Fit.

Evan said...

Methinks that trying to make a scooter even more 'green' by making it a hybrid is not so cost efffective. So for twice the price you can go two months on one gallon of gas instead of just one month?

Three wheels have been cool since the Big Wheel, but I'd feel better giving the extra $3,000 to Greenpeace (or something) and feel just fine while riding the low-tech scooter.

Hybrid Scooters: "An Inconvenient Price"

sara said...

Oooh, that is fancy. Although it seems to me that the current "normal" Vespas are plenty green enough without being hybrids.

Your previous post got me thinking about how brave you are. I pictured myself on a scooter & realized that I would be absolutely terrified. I spent about two miles on a street bike on University Ave in Provo once and thought I was going to die (and I was with a good driver). Also I once drove an old Jeep Wrangler with no doors and thought I was going to die then too. So having recalled those two incidences, I have a new respect for you!

And seriously, when do we get to see the new pretty helmet? Donned, preferably.

Anonymous said...

dearest ginny I do not forsee a scooter purchase in the near future because all of my chidren require car seats ( lets face it Id look pretty silly with five kids strapped to a scooter -not to mention a little britneyish} butI can see the beauty and moxy that a scooter posseses. I love that you have a blog because since the day I met you Ive known you are the cats pajamas and my dream is to someday be half as cool as you so now stalking you is a whole lot easier!{ My brother in law Jason says the pain of his life was that he wasnt born a Sanderson.Aaaahh Yes, but one can dream!}say hey to grammy and grampy sandyand the fam!

Amanda said...

sadly, this comment does not pertain to the scooter, it is only written to say that to describe my blog as rhombus means it can only be you...too bad i can't remember who Neanderthal Man is, but i will tell you i still have some pretty gorgeous pics of a memorable road trip to ventura during which we hurriedly ate my mom's homemade "for the road" turkey sandwiches so we could sing along to one of our favorite songs. remember what song it was?

sara said...

Happy Birthday to You!

P Daddy said...

Sara beat me to it, at least on this blog. I was going to say, despite the fears and mishaps along the way, the Vespa has not made you older, but better, and with the patina of little scrapes you have given it, you have done the same for the Vespa. Happy riding and happy birthday.

Kate said...

happy happy birthday ginny dear...

Ryan said...

Aww happy birthday yesterday. I clicked on your ads as a present to you. I hope it goes a long way...

ginny said...

Okay, am doubtful anyone is going to check back on this post at this point, but for what it's worth...

gFunk: Whatever. Every Sanderson wishes they were a Smith.

Amanda: Can't remember the exact song, but I'm pretty sure it's one of the following: "Anything" by Dramarama; "There's a Barbarian in the Back of My Car" by Voice of the Beehive; or the Bananarama song about Robert DeNiro. I think we just listened to those three songs on repeat the entire way. We were really into the Rama bands back then. SO GLAD you checked in.

Birthday wishers: Thanks.